[ale] OT: Space Shuttle Columbia

Jeff Hubbs hbbs at attbi.com
Tue Feb 4 23:11:16 EST 2003

You raise an interesting point.  It's one thing to land on the moon for
the first time.  That called for titanium gonads (and apparently they
needed them - please note that I think my figurative terminology covers
men and women alike).  But, to run similar risks - manifold, at that -
for some noble but not earthshatteringly critical experiments calls into
question just what gains - even if spiritual - we are getting in return.

And, I have to admit that I wonder about NASA-as-employment-program.
The Shuttle program is basically a GOCO (Government Owned, Contractor
Operated) deal (United Space Alliance - whose
shuttle-with-"USA"-at-the-bottom emblem appears on the backs of support
staff visible in shuttle prep video - is the Flight Operations
Contractor).  The NASA people are, by and large, meeting-attenders and
paper-reviewers.  But, I digress; I want technical prowess in the US,
but I also want it bringing us more than just a bunch of people with
money to spend at the Merritt Island Wal-Mart.