[ale] OT: Space Shuttle Columbia

Drag0n dragon at atlantacon.org
Tue Feb 4 18:26:54 EST 2003

an abort has a very short window of opportunity before being outside of
the atmosphere and being a moot point as the damage would still have
been lethal. As for docking with the ISS, they did not have the docking
module in the shuttle bay due to the research bay being installed. as
well as not having EVA suits make that a non option. This is not the
first time damage has been done to the heat tiles from the tank foam.
including one impact the penitrated more than 75% of the way through the
heat tiles. I am hoping they will figure its time to install a hard coat
layer over the insulation tles that can burn away on re-entry and
protect the bottom from impacts.

Just my .02cents
+.01 cent to the tax man

Drag0n