[ale] OT: Space Shuttle Columbia

Joe jknapka at earthlink.net
Sat Feb 1 09:47:41 EST 2003

Jeff Hubbs <hbbs at attbi.com> writes:

> I guess no one else has mentioned it so I figure I should...
>
> This morning at about 9AM, the Space Shuttle Columbia disintegrated on
> reentry over central Texas.  Multiple video recordings show several
> portions of the spacecraft.  No survivors are expected.

I cried when I heard the news. I vividly remember Challenger, and I
didn't expect to see the loss of a second orbiter in my lifetime - I
really thought it'd have been replaced by something better by now,
like Delta. Perhaps this will inspire us to revitalize our manned
space program, and provide the funding necessary to do it right.
Unfortunately, without some serious competition in that arena, it
doesn't seem likely. This might actually herald the end of the US's
manned spaceflight program.

A sad, sad day.

-- Joe Knapka