[ale] file seen but not seen

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Sat Aug 30 10:48:34 EDT 2003

On Sat, 2003-08-30 at 09:42, James P. Kinney III wrote:
> On Sat, 2003-08-30 at 09:37, James P. Kinney III wrote:
> > I'm installing MailScanner. When I untar the package, it's all there. ls
> > shows proper sizes. But the install fails claiming the packages I can
> > see are not there. So I go to do it manually. Run the rpm --rebuild
> > perl-FOO.src.rpm and IT fails saying the package doesn't exist. I'M
> > LOOKING AT IT?!?!?!
> >
> > It's a RH 7.2 box. Any ideas?
>
> It's an rpm issue. When I installed the src.rpms manually then tried to
> rpm -bb foo, it failed with the same error.
>
> Hmm.

It helps when all the rpm parts are installed. rpm-build was not
installed. So the error message is crap. It reads like the src.rpm is
not found when it really means that the ability to build and rpm is not
found.

Bug notice # 312 to RedHat: Error message during failed rpm --rebuild
should be changed to reflect the missing build tools, not the
incorrectly stated missing package to build.
http://www.localnetsolutions.com

 This is a digitally signed message part