[ale] unreadable digests

Christopher Ness mness215 at comcast.net
Sat Aug 30 08:27:54 EDT 2003

On Saturday 30 August 2003 01:48 am, Dow Hurst replied to what
James W. Mash wrote and I responded.

Put this one down as irony. I know I take mail compatibility for granted
 anymore. With the possible exception of the the 400 daily request for phallic
 enlargement and debt relief, and all those officials in Africa depending on
 me to smuggle their money out through my bank account. (I guess me reputation
 precedes me)

I had no idea what James was asking about and ironically he was having the
 problem with our mail that I  was having with his. It took Dow's quote for me
 to be able to read James' message. Part of that was the parenthesis, elipsys,
 and emoticons. I know I use them too, but mixed with all the HTML weirdness,
 the words are obfuscated the very same way that much of the SPAM I have
 been recieving is broken up to keep from being filtered.

I use KDE's kmail to read my mail and I  don't know if it is even possible to
 read HTML on it. If it was an option I never even looked. I know I can turn
 wordwrap on and off from my point of view and add an extra CR like
 I am doing for this mail. Besides from my experience only spammers and
 James use HTML.

 But James' problem  is going the other way.  If you were bringing data to
 Linux from Windows, it  would be easier to fix - there is a filter called
 dos2linux that you could just pipe your files (mail) through. We tend to get
 wrapped up in our KDEs and Gnomes and forget ourselves the command
 line and script freedom that  makes Linux friendlier than Windows. Of course
 being Linux, the script exists the other way too - There is a linux2dos
 filter for going the other way but that would require you to recieve your
 mail on the linux box, then filter it so you could read it on the Windows
 box. At that point you might as well read it in Linux.

I dusted off a copy of Outlook to look at and tried to find a setting that
 might make this happen. I found under Tools->Options->Preferences ->
 E-mail Options an item "Remove extra line breaks in plain text messages"
 It might be this one stripping out line feeds that  "obviously don't belong
 there since there is no carriage return". I don't know if that is really the
 answer since I really have never used Outlook. But maybe...