[ale] Streaming media for Linux

George Carless kafka at antichri.st
Fri Aug 29 12:22:18 EDT 2003

Hi all,

Does anyone have any recommendations for streaming stuff from a Linux
machine?  I've some rather large video files which I'd like to serve from
our intranet box (which runs RedHat), and I'm not sure what the best
approach might be.  Would streaming be more or less server load than just
letting people download encoded mpeg files?  And if not, can anyone
recommend a decent free encoder?  I'm dealing with video off a DVD (large,
large files) which I want to get down to a size suitable for putting on
our box for a few hundred employees...

Cheers,
--George