[ale] CRM

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Fri Aug 29 08:29:50 EDT 2003

On Fri, 2003-08-29 at 08:13, Matthew Brown wrote:
> I _think_ Act stores in .dbf format, which is a fairly standard
> xBASE/dBASE/FoxPro format.  I'm sure somebody's written something to
> read the data from one of those.

Not to my knowledge.Act! is one of those "hate it, use it, but gotta
have it" apps that has no analog in OpenSource. The closest I've seen is
Compiere. But it is MUCH bigger (and does more) and requires a network
connection to use as it requires a central database server. The clients
are java apps, the accounting package is sql-ledger, and it uses Oracle
(which requires a fairly stout machine to run on).

There was the beginnings of a personal contact manager from Chilisoft
several years ago. But it has fizzled.