[ale] OT: Wireless Questions

Tim LaCroix cheese4all at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 28 13:19:32 EDT 2003

Hey all, I ran into something I can't fix, thought
someone here may know.

I got a D-Link 614+ and a Yagi D-Link ANT24-1801 and I
am trying to go a half mile to a computer sitting with
a Belkin 802.11b USB nic. I called up D-Link and they
just said that a professional wireless installer must
install it. I asked if there were any in Savannah, he
couldn't say. But regardless, I am merely attempting
to go 1/2 mile through trees, houses and people to
reach a nic sitting in an office. The thing has a 15
degree beam. The Yagi boasts a 3 mile range, but
looking at some cisco texts on their equivalent it
seems that 2 concrete walls are enough to stop the
connection. Is it wise to get another antenna or a nic
with an antenna like the DWL-AG520 for the recieving
end? Or is the only option to site this thing out with
a laser going 3 stories up and aiming it to be within
inches. Any assistance or advice would be great.

Thanks.
Tim LaCroix
CCNA (general all around "fix the computer thing" guy)