[ale] bash script

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Wed Aug 27 23:07:55 EDT 2003

On Wed, 2003-08-27 at 22:58, Geoffrey wrote:
> James P. Kinney III wrote:
> > if [ "$BBHOME" = "" -o ! -d "$BBHOME" ]
> > then fail miserably....
>
> -o is OR
>
> If $BBHOME is the null string or it's not a directory

That's what I think it should be as well. But 2 lines up:
BBHOME="/home/bbuser/bb"
export BBHOME

and /home/bbuser/bb is a directory.

?!?!?!?!?

I didn't find -o listed as an OR in man bash which is why I don't
understand this. man lists only || as logical OR. -o is:
 -o optname
    True  if  shell  option  optname  is  enabled.   See the list of
    options under the description  of  the  -o  option  to  the  set
    builtin below.

which makes no sense in this context.

> > What does the -o mean? The variable BBHOME has been set, but it keeps
> > choking on this if line and claiming it isn't.
http://www.localnetsolutions.com

 This is a digitally signed message part