[ale] Linux Desktop Costs

Jason Day jasonday at worldnet.att.net
Wed Aug 27 13:15:01 EDT 2003

On Wed, Aug 27, 2003 at 11:52:54AM -0400, Geoffrey wrote:
> BruceG wrote:
>
> >In looking at costs, though - how can you tell if you are able to
> >install on multiple desktops, or if there is a per seat license.
> >Meaning - if I chose RH, Mandrake or SuSE - can I purchase one boxed
> >set and install on multiple PC's? On SuSE, would that break the YaST2
> >license?
>
> I have researched this as well, and my research indicates that you may
> purchase SuSE box set and install it on as many machines as you like.
> If anyone knows differently, please correct me.

The GPL requires this; a linux distributor may not place additional
restrictions on your ability to distribute GPL software.  Note that this
applies only to software; services like up2date, and whatever YaST uses
on the backend are not applicable.

So yes, you can purchase a single box and install it on as many desktops
as you want, but you may only get support/services for one desktop.  The
support and services of course depend on the vendor.

> The same applies to Mandrake, and I'll assume for RH, although I've not
> researched it.

I believe RedHat's Enterprise linux is tied to a particular CPU.  You
can install it on more than one box, but RedHat will only support the
one you purchased it for.

    -- Weyoun-6, Star Trek: Deep Space 9