[ale] Linux Desktop Costs

BruceG griffisb at bellsouth.net
Wed Aug 27 14:44:26 EDT 2003

Hey all,

      Being the cheap sort I am, I was wondering if any of you have done a
cost study on different Linux desktop distributions. I know there is a free
part of this: I downloaded Mandrake 9.1 and burned ISOs, and was able to keep
up with security fixes free. I installed SuSE from FTP and applied updates,
but opted to purchase a boxed set - mainly for the user guide. I also
downloaded RH9.0 ISO's, but haven't played with them yet. I'm thinking I'd
prefer to simply purchase a boxed set just for a user's guide.

      In looking at costs, though - how can you tell if you are able to
install on multiple desktops, or if there is a per seat license. Meaning - if
I chose RH, Mandrake or SuSE - can I purchase one boxed set and install on
multiple PC's? On SuSE, would that break the YaST2 license?

      Also, if I read correctly, RH has up2date by subscription. Would I be
correct in guessing that the subscription is for new versions of software,
but security updates are free?

      I read the social contract at Debian, read a lot of the doc, and
subscribed to the mailing lists - so realize that is free as in speech AND
cost - but had problems with ALSA, my EnsonIQ sound card, usb mouse and usb
joystick. So while free, you appear to pay in sweat equity. I'm not picking
on the distribution at all - but for a newbie like me, it was harder to set
up then Mandrake or SuSE. That's a reflection on me, not on Debian and I'm
sure if I was less impatient, the debian-user mailing list (and the Ale list)
would have helped me sort it out quickly.

      If you were considering a distribution for a non-profit that uses
donated PC's with older hardware - what distribution would you go for? I was
thinking that Debian fit the general bill. Second question is: is there a
toolset that can help you determine the hardware installed in a donated PC? I
know under Windows I can go to Belarc Advisor. Is there a similar tool for
Linux?

   (and a side note, I actually posted as a new thread, instead of a reply to!
As a long time WIndows user, I NEVER kept addresses in Outlook Express and
simply replied to messages, breaking threads all over the place. I've
actually finally started making an address book in KMail.)

Bruce