[ale] KDE/Gnome show of hands?

BruceG griffisb at bellsouth.net
Wed Aug 27 14:20:29 EDT 2003

On Wednesday 27 August 2003 05:57, John Wells wrote:
> I see various post recommending this or that environment, but I've not
> seen anyone explaining why.
>
> So, if you have a second today, could you state:
>
> 1. Which do you use...KDE/Gnome/Other?
>
> 2. Why?
>
> I suspect most choices are just level of comfort ("It was the first one I
> every used"), but I'm curious to see.
>
> Thanks!
>
> John

KDE here. I tried KDE and Gnome, and simply preferred KDE. Easy to use, easy
to setup, simple to change basic settings. My 7 year old son was up and
operational in a matter of minutes. It took me a little longer.

Funny thing is, using KDE - it didn't matter if I had Mandrake, Debian or SuSE
on my desktop - or Knoppix run from CD. My 7 year old and 14 year old sons
were up and running immediately.  My wife still boots to Windows, urgh.