[ale] SuSE 8.2, Building a kernel

BruceG griffisb at bellsouth.net
Wed Aug 27 00:08:40 EDT 2003

On Tuesday 26 August 2003 18:01, James P. Kinney III wrote:
> The bootsplash give that pretty screen without the ugly list of stuff
> being started up. It's eyecandy.
>
> All you may need to do is makemenuconfig again and compile in reiserfs
> instead of having it as a module. If it is a module, the kernel must
> load it to access the hard drive. Since the modules are _on_ the hard
> drive it is required to to use a fake hard drive, thus initrd (initial
> root device). My take is that unless things are really weird, anything I
> need to get the box to run and find the hard drive, I'm going to always
> be using anyway.

Sounds good. I don't need the eyecandy on boot up, but wondered where it went
when I tried building and loading kernels. As far as hard drive support - I
BETTER have compiled in reiserfs this time.

I saw a book on the Linux kernel at Borders the other day. Think it's an
O'Reilly book. Is it a good one? I'd like to know a little more about what
the options are I'm guessing at by names and pressing the h (help) button.