[ale] [OT] Omniscient, Omnipotent, Omnipresent or Not.

tfreeman at intel.digichem.net tfreeman at intel.digichem.net
Tue Aug 26 17:10:34 EDT 2003

On Tue, 26 Aug 2003, da Black Baron wrote:

> On Tuesday 26 August 2003 10:21 am, Chris Ricker scratched their ass, sniffed
> their finger and quoth:
> > On Tue, 26 Aug 2003, da Black Baron wrote:
> > > I assumed as much to be the case, I just wanted to make the point that
> > > there were random factors in the makup of a human being at the most basic
> > > level.
> >
> > Whether they're random is certainly debatable (and is debated -- that's one
> > reason some of the philosophy of science guys are now interested in biology
> > instead of physics)
>
> I was under the impression that each sperm and egg held exactly 1/2 of the
> parent's genes.  Is this incorrect?

I'll be overridden by somebody who actually knows what they are talking
about...

Not quite. The genetic material of the sperm's mitochondria is lost, and
the egg's material is retained. So you are to some degree more related
genetically to your mother than to your father. Within the nucleous (sp?)
of your cells, yes, equal amounts of genetic material from each parent.