[ale] Kylix 3

John Mills johnmills at speakeasy.net
Tue Aug 26 10:44:25 EDT 2003

ALErs -

I installed free Kyilx 3 as a RAD 'learner', but haven't used it since. I
do like the option of Delphi (aka 'object Pascal') and C++ alternatives.

As a Borland Pascal user since Turbo Pascal 3.0 for CP/M and DOS, I am not
uncomfortable with the Pascal roots.

I like the idea and the potential for common Linux and MsWin support of
products.

<IMHO>At ~US$240, the low-end $$ Kylix version for Linux is not expensive
compared to commercial IDEs for MsWin, though there's a pretty big bite
(>US$2K?) for MsWin Delphi if you really want to support both
environments.</IMHO>

It also appeared that the database links were tied to Kylix-specific
Borland libs.

On Mon, 25 Aug 2003, Christopher Fowler wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 25, 2003 at 04:50:13PM -0400, James Sumners wrote:
> > The toolkit issue is definitely not a fun one. I think GTK+(2) is probably the
> > way to go for any cross platform applications. Kylix is a cool idea but
> > whenever I try to give it a chance I usually end up angry with it, removing it
> > from my system, and vowing never to bother with it again.

My reading on 'Openpenguin.com' and a couple other links I found suggests
there was a first-run at an open-source Kylix toolkit, but that it
stumbled when Borland quit encouraging it. That would be really nice to
have.

There were some comments at the ALE presentation re: the QT license. IIRC,
the commercial version include the necessary license to link QT libs, and
the free version depends on the free-use-only QT licensing and QT being
bundled in your Linux distro (i.e., RH).

> when I read the doucmentation it kept mentioning something about wine.  Maybe
> that was for the Delphi crap but I want true development on Linux not something
> using some windows stuff.  JBuilder seems like a good product and I've used
> it many times.  I usuually end up suing VIM as my IDE.

My G~d, they're even suing VIM now!!

As I read it, WINE is used under the Linux IDE, but the Borland libs that
are linked to your code are 100% native. That agrees with Borland's
comments that Kylix and Delphi APIs could not be mapped 100% (again, if I
understood what I read).

It is sloowww to launch, but OpenOffice and SunOffice have softened me up
quite a bit on that point. &8-P

I am not interested in Kylix as a general IDE, but as a quick way to build
GUIs that (theoretically) map easily into MsWin.

 John Mills
 john.m.mills at alum.mit.edu