[ale] Misguided Linux enthusiast makes us all look bad

Brad LaJeunesse brad at magusaptus.com
Tue Aug 26 10:20:42 EDT 2003

> I'd say your poor comparison was more knee-jerk.  A statement made
> without thinking through the consequences.

It wasn't my comparision, if you'll read back. (You may of mistaken me for
someone else, because I failed to include a signature in that last posting.)
I was just pointing out it was a valid comparision on the two points of
organization and control. Sure, it probably wasn't the best comparision (for
political reasons or whatever), but it is valid.

As I alluded to previously, what also adds weight to comparision is the
"religious" way that many people think of OSS. Eric Raymond himself, in the
"Cathedral and the Bazaar", has religious-sounding undertones.

<snip>

> > If we become more concerned about our appearances to people LOOKING
> > for FUD than our ability to discuss serious issues amongst ourselves,
> > then this list serves no purpose. Just MHO.
>
> Wrong.  The point is, a comparison as this is providing fodder for the
> FUD cannons.  There are better ways of describing this effort, say the
> French Resistance during WWII, then you may not be that old.

There are certainly other (better?) ways to describe the OSS effort, and I
would agree that the WWII French Resistance is a valid example. However,
that doesn't mean that we need to have an implied content filter on this
list. We should be able to discuss what we want, and damn the torpedoes [FUD
cannons]. (oops, were you alive for that, too?)

So, are you saying that you were alive during WWII? Or is this a feeble
attempt to draw this out into a good 'ol USENET-style flamewar? :)

Brad LaJeunesse, PINES System Administrator
Georgia Public Library Service
www.georgialibraries.org

"Scotty, I need warp speed in three minutes or we're all dead!"
--Admiral James T. Kirk, Star Trek II: "The Wrath of Khan"