[ale] OT: Interesting Link (State of IT)

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Tue Aug 26 08:34:59 EDT 2003

Christopher Fowler wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 26, 2003 at 08:04:25AM -0400, Geoffrey wrote:
>
>> Christopher Fowler wrote:
>>
>>> This guy shares some views.  I've believe that the next
>>> revolution in Adminstration is to go from RTFM to RTFS.  His
>>> comments reflect that
>>
>> 'cuse the ignorance, RTFS???
>

> S stands for source

In that case, it's not going to happen.  I think an admin needs to have
a good understanding of the OS, but to the point where they're reading
source code is not necessary.  I consider myself an above average admin
and average programmer, but I would have to spend a lot of time to get a
good understanding of the Linux kernel source.

>>> Of course we both could be wackos.  But like I said before, I
>>> thought I knew UNIX.  But when I wrote code in UNIX is when I
>>> really understood UNIX. Before then I was clueless.
>>
>> I started out coding before I got into admin.  I think you really
>> need both to have a balanced understanding of the OS.  90% of M$
>> folks are admins and know much less about the internals of the OS
>> then your run of the mill UNIX admin.
>

> I did some programming then to admin and back to programming.  The OS
>  is just a layer to make it easier for the IT guy.  When stuff breaks
>  the men are seperated from the boys.  Also women from the girls ;).
> Many times when I'm trying to figure out why a applicaiton is failing
>  while I'm wearing an admin hat, I'll pull out strace.  Truss on
> other systems.  This can tell me so much more about failures when
> /var/log/messages does not help.  I did some SCO work 2 months ago
> that required the use of truss to get things working.Otherwise I'd be
>  staring in the dark.

Using such tools certainly is a benefit, but having a good understanding
of kernel source is not necessary for your generic admin.  I'll enhance
my previous statement by saying that a decent admin should have some
experience with coding, a decent programmer should have some admin
experience.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net

Think about it...