[ale] A good gui distro for that Compaq laptop

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Tue Aug 26 06:17:02 EDT 2003

Ronald Chmara wrote:

> I'm looking for ideas for a good GUI distro for a 64MbRAM, 3 Gb hard
> drive, 166Mhz Compaq laptop.

I've installed SuSE 8.2 on as small a drive as 1 gig.  I've got a laptop
that's similar to your config, 128mb, p166, 3 gig.  You might be pushing
the minimum limit on memory for the gui install, but it will still work.
  I'd suggest not to use kde in such a configuration, as it will take
forever to boot.  You'd likely have a better experience if you could add
a bit of memory.  Nice thing about SuSE 8.2 is you can choose a small
footprint without going through all the individual packages.  It's
likely to choose a pretty good selection of packaes on it's own, but
with 3 gig, it's likely to include kde and I wouldn't go that route.
Gnome will function much better in that configuration.  Then again, you
really don't need either, many of us got along with just a window
manager just fine before Gnome and kde showed up.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net

Think about it...