[ale] USB CD burner w/ linux

tfreeman at intel.digichem.net tfreeman at intel.digichem.net
Mon Aug 25 15:00:57 EDT 2003

On Mon, 25 Aug 2003, Geoffrey wrote:

> tfreeman at intel.digichem.net wrote:
>
> > I'm moving things to RH9 from Win98, 80 Gig HD, 1+ GHz celery. I was
> > thinking of using her usb cdburner (from the previous machine) for backups
> > and carrying around the family type slide shows, but it occures to me - I
> > know nothing about using such under linux! Anybody on the list have
> > good/bad experiences to relate? Is this a reasonable approach, or should I
> > drop the extra bread to put in an internal burner, possibly moving it up
> > into the DVD range? Opinions and combat results appreciated.
>
> Go to:
>
> http://www.linux-usb.org/
>
> And see what you can find.  usb on linux has come a long way.  I've got
> 4 different devices hooked to my box right now and all work (wacom
> tablet, hp scanner, quickcam camera and my sony camcorder).

Well, I've got the handheld, three USB cameras at different times, a
scanner, one of those pocket drives, a printer, and two different Sony
cameras. I agree with you - linux-usb is a wonderful place.

I admit to forgetting some of the kernel modules others have
mentioned, and their help has undoubtedly kept me from some hair tearing.
We will just see how this works out.

Thanks again