[ale] USB CD burner w/ linux

James Sumners james at sumners.ath.cx
Mon Aug 25 14:00:07 EDT 2003

You need to enable SCSI and generic SCSI cdrom support in your kernel. After
those are enabled you can enable USB Storage support in your kernel. Then all
it takes is a simple `cdrecord -scanbus` to figure out where your burning
device is and then `cdrecord dev=X,X,X your.iso` to burn what you wish. I have
done so with a Plextor PX-S8TU. It is much easier than I thought it would be.

<quote who="tfreeman at intel.digichem.net">

> My girl friend's computer committed electronic hari-kari (sp?) a while
> back, and started rewriting the cmos with random information. Regular
> repair service has provided last rites, although the vendor wants $1K to
> fix a machine I payed $1K 2 years ago. Obviously, replacement time (and an
> opportunity to bad mouth the vendor - Boo Gateway)
>
> I'm moving things to RH9 from Win98, 80 Gig HD, 1+ GHz celery. I was
> thinking of using her usb cdburner (from the previous machine) for backups
> and carrying around the family type slide shows, but it occures to me - I
> know nothing about using such under linux! Anybody on the list have
> good/bad experiences to relate? Is this a reasonable approach, or should I
> drop the extra bread to put in an internal burner, possibly moving it up
> into the DVD range? Opinions and combat results appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance for your help.

I used to be interested in Windows NT, but the more I see of it the more it
looks like traditional Windows with a stabler kernel. I don't find anything
technically interesting there. In my opinion MS is a lot better at making
money than it is at making good operating systems.  -- Linus Torvalds