[ale] USB CD burner w/ linux

tfreeman at intel.digichem.net tfreeman at intel.digichem.net
Mon Aug 25 13:30:53 EDT 2003

My girl friend's computer committed electronic hari-kari (sp?) a while
back, and started rewriting the cmos with random information. Regular
repair service has provided last rites, although the vendor wants $1K to
fix a machine I payed $1K 2 years ago. Obviously, replacement time (and an
opportunity to bad mouth the vendor - Boo Gateway)

I'm moving things to RH9 from Win98, 80 Gig HD, 1+ GHz celery. I was
thinking of using her usb cdburner (from the previous machine) for backups
and carrying around the family type slide shows, but it occures to me - I
know nothing about using such under linux! Anybody on the list have
good/bad experiences to relate? Is this a reasonable approach, or should I
drop the extra bread to put in an internal burner, possibly moving it up
into the DVD range? Opinions and combat results appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your help.