[ale] RH + Updates

Chris Ricker kaboom at gatech.edu
Mon Aug 25 10:14:28 EDT 2003

On Mon, 25 Aug 2003, Matthew Brown wrote:

> I'm with you.  I wonder, is Debian any better?
>
> Also, I notice that the RPM package management system leaves some to be
> desired.  Either I am ignorant in it's advanced use, or it is just a
> little too cumbersome.  For example, in trying to get gDesklets to work
> -- still unsuccessfully -- I needed to upgrade Python, but that broke
> python2-gnome2-ui or somesuch.  RPM complained about the upgrade, but I
> would love to have just said, "upgrade yourself to the latest, and
> include any dependencies" -- or at least list them and allow me to grab
> them at will.
>
> I only worked with apt-get shortly working on another project, but it
> seemed REALLY easy.  Myabe a little too easy, I suppose.  All I said was
> apt-get this-1.0.3-14, and it upgraded this, that, and the other, all
> without incident.
>
> I'm not after a pm war, but would love to hear the pros and cons.
> Shoot, even emerge was easier than rpm.

You're conflating the front end with the package manager.

dpkg has two front ends that are widely used:

apt (which in turn has front ends like synaptic)
dselect

rpm has about 10. Commonly used:

yum
apt
up2date
SuSE's proprietary YAST/YAST2 stuff
rpmdrake
autoupdate
autorpm
etc.

As for the service packs idea, it's horrible. The nice thing about linux is
that patches are released quickly, and as individual application patches (so
that I don't have to download some huge service pack full of outdated
patches for apps I don't even have installed)

later,
chris