[ale] Georgia electronic voting challenge!

aaron aaron at pd.org
Sat Aug 23 11:23:43 EDT 2003

It is wonderful that the numerous software vulnerabilities of these closed
source voting machines are getting some attention, but I fear that all the
media noise about security is only serving as a smoke screen for the more
blatant manipulations and exploits involved. The real election fraud being
perpetrated through electronic voting resides far less with the computer
systems than with who is counting the votes that the hidden, secret software
of these systems is supposed to collect.

Across the nation, and in the vast majority of electronic voting
implementations that our tax dollars are being squandered on, the actual job
of counting our votes is being carted off by a tiny handful of privately
contracted corporape entities who, by the very nature of their employ, have a
vested interest in every election outcome. Abhorrently, their state awarded
contracts for electronic voting systems frequently preclude or severely limit
external public monitoring, review or audit of the counts these contractors
perform or of the voting machinery they provide. The closed systems they are
foisting on the public are almost never required to produce the simple,
auditable, voter verified paper trail that would ensure an honest accounting
of our votes while almost entirely eliminating the potentials for software
related vulnerabilities, criminal manipulations or security failures.

It is my understanding that Georgia's electronic voting implementation is a
worst case example of all the problems outlined above, a fact which calls
into question every election in which these systems have been used. If
Georgians want their future votes in this state to have even a remote chance
of a fair and honest counting,  the three essential words to remember are:
   Use Absentee Ballots**

As the brutal dictator Stalin observed, it is not the votes that count, it is
who counts the vote. In 2000, Florida's Governor Jeb Bush and Secretary of
State Kathleen Harris used the easy manipulation of computer data bases
collected from Texas to fraudulently (and criminally) remove more than 60,000
legitimate Florida voters from state voter registration lists by falsely
labeling and libeling them as convicts. All it took was a 2 million dollar
State contract payoff to Georgia's Choice Point corporation to suppress the
verification process that the data was legally required to undergo; data so
flawed that it even reported conviction dates for many of these innocent,
mostly black victims as happening in the FUTURE years of 2001 and beyond.
Implementing closed, secretive, corporape controlled electronic voting
systems without complete public access and auditing guarantees that this kind
of massive criminal election fraud will become the pathetic standard rather
than the innexcusable exception of 2000, and American democracy will become a
relic of the 20th century.

peace
(in justice)
aaron

**[ Though "Impeach The Criminals" will work too. ;^) ]