[ale] Ernie Ball says F.Y. to Microsoft

James Sumners jsumners at nothing.clayton.edu
Wed Aug 20 18:41:45 EDT 2003

Speaking from a developer stand point you should let him take a break from the
normal work to work on other things. If you have him constantly working on the
same code all day, day in and day out, he is going to get bored with it and
start writting bad code. Not really out of spite, just because he does not
want to look at, or deal with, that code any more. Letting a programmer write
some fresh code that he wants to write as a relief from "the job" will result
in a better product for you thus justifying your nickel being spent.

Just my opinion. I could be wrong.

<quote who="Christopher Fowler">
> I have a developer that works for me that sometimes writes OS code and
> contributes
> back on our nicel.  It may be greedy but him and I have got in arguments over
> why I should pay him per hour to develop software that others can use for free
> and save money over us.  We've extended a few OS projects to make
> them work much better IMO but I've had to pay him to do that while freeloaders
> reap rewards.  However we did reap some rewards from starting with the code
> base to begin with.  Its just to make certain OS project useable we had to
> "fix" them.
>
> Chris

I used to be interested in Windows NT, but the more I see of it the more it
looks like traditional Windows with a stabler kernel. I don't find anything
technically interesting there. In my opinion MS is a lot better at making
money than it is at making good operating systems.  -- Linus Torvalds