[ale] sobig.f, organized crime and blaster

J.M. Taylor jtaylor at onlinea.com
Fri Aug 22 16:56:04 EDT 2003

There are a lot of possiblities for this one.  I can think of dozens of
ways it can go,even from this point. Do we know if it has fallback
behaviour (ie - can't reach NTP servers, so just go with local system
time? can't reach one of the 20 servers, so run Omega13?)?  I have to
admit, I'm a lot more afraid of the *next* version than this one, but I'm
not convinced we've seen the last of .f yet either.

Re the CNN interview about it being from "organized crime" -- I read that
too and had a very amusing mental image of a Godfather (cue music)
ordering a hit on these 20 hapless machines.

In related news, Microsoft has decided with the Blaster worm that they'll
test out a new integrated patching mechanism.  Now, if it were me, and I
had a history of releasing horrible buggy stuff that did more harm than
good, I don't think I'd release a brand new thing to my customers in the
middle of the worst virus week ever. :)

jenn