[ale] new laptop time ... need suggestions

BruceG griffisb at bellsouth.net
Fri Aug 22 15:29:03 EDT 2003

On Thursday 21 August 2003 10:59, Dow Hurst wrote:
> The chips used to do 54g can broadcast on military channels somehow so
> the specs aren't released by the manufacturers.  Anyone using the new g
> standard is running XP.  Ha!  Caught you redhanded there! ;-)
>
> There was a post that maybe by Christmas or early next year enough
> hacked code would bring out a driver whether commercial based drivers
> were available or not.  I have no idea if this is true.  The whole issue
> is pretty hazy to me as I've read just enough to be confused.
>
>From what I've read there are a couple people doing 802.11G on Linux with some
success. The drivers are being developed at the MadWiFi project. Devices that
are purported to work include Netgear WAG511, WAB511, D-Link DWL-AG520,
DWL-AG650, DWL-AB650, Linksys WPC55AG, WMP55AG, WPC51AB.

Now for disclaimer time: I looked at the MadWiFi information at sourceforge. I
subscribed to the list. I asked a coupla questions. I saw responses from
people that claim to have it working - but no-one has claimed a full 54MBPS
connection (there seem to be a lot of throughput issues, anywhere between
1MBPS to 22MBPS depending on noise and distance).

That said, I am still toying with the idea of downloading the drivers from CVS
and having a go at it.