[ale] OT cvs move

Ronald Chmara ron at Opus1.COM
Fri Aug 22 10:36:32 EDT 2003

On Friday, August 22, 2003, at 09:47  AM, Jim Lynch wrote:
> I'd like to take a cvs archive and move it to another system, lock
> stock
> and barrel.  Can that be done?  What do I have to look out for?  Can I
> just tar it up and move it or do I need to initialize things first?

OT without politics, platform wars, or trolls? Say it ain't so!

If you're talking about either a server's CVSROOT area, or even a
client, you'll be happy to know that CVS is typical *nix... it's all
files.

Move the files and you'll usually be fine, I wind up doing this about
once a year. Some "other" stuff to look out for:
1. (server) Do you invoke any avail/loginfo/commitinfo/etc. external
binaries (outside of the cvs file tree), that must also be moved?
2. (server) Do you have any cvsweb (or similar) ways of interacting
with the repository, that must also be set up on the new server?
3. (server) If access to the old server was via CVS over SSH, will you
also need to move homedir's and authorized_keys(2)?
4. (server) Similar to above, do you need /etc/passwd and friends?
5. (server) If you have external binaries, do they need any temp dirs
created and chmod'ed?
6. (client) Does the client need any environment settings changed, for
cvsroot and similar?

HTH,
-Bop
Ronald Chmara
Ronin Professional Consulting LLC
678-530-9542
"It  can only be attributable to human error." --Hal.