[ale] New User: Sendmail and DNS server questions

Ernie ks4q at zingleman.com
Thu Aug 21 19:00:42 EDT 2003

Guys,

I'm looking here for help on setting up some things.
I'm running a webserver and mail server here at my home.
I've been running windows applications to do these and am interested
in some greater functionality with sendmail (virus scanning and decent spam
filtering)
apache (hosting virutal domains) and local caching of DNS resolutions.

I've installed RedHat v.9 on a fairly powerful box that I built up
specifically for this purpose.

I'm fairly well versed in Windows 2000 and other platforms but
very weak on unix and linux.

I've been using webmin to set up sendmail but can't seem to
get it going. I've tried editing the sendmail.mc file but no joy.
So, I'm not sure where my problems reside.

My first test of the my setup of sendmail was to try to connect to the
server
from another computer on the local network here.  No joy.  I can ping but
get
no connect.  Any idea of where to start??

Thanks, Ernie