[ale] procmail filter on attachment name?

Byron A Jeff byron at cc.gatech.edu
Thu Aug 21 12:12:41 EDT 2003

>   Is it possible to have procmail filter based on an attachment's name
> such as *.pif?  I don't want to just cut out all executables as
> sometimes my father and sisterm mail me "cute" stuff as they know I
> don't worry about getting a virus but the spam is just getting annoying.

DUDE! You must be psychic! I was going to post this exact same message. But
I spent two minutes and figured it out for my self. Here's my update
.procmailrc to cut out the SPAM:

--------------------------
:0B:
* ^.*name=.*pif
| $HOME/bin/spamcount
:0B:
* ^.*name=.*scr
| $HOME/bin/spamcount
:0B:
* ^.*name=.*zip
| $HOME/bin/spamcount
:0B:
* ^.*name=.*pif
/dev/null
:0B:
* ^.*name=.*scr
/dev/null
:0B:
* ^.*name=.*zip
Mail/SPAM.ZIP
---------------------------

I thow pifs and scrs away but save the zips because you never know.

spamcount is a trivial script that counts the amount of spam received:

#!/usr/local/bin/bash

SC=~/.spamcount

if [ -r $SC ] ; then
   count=$(cat $SC)