[ale] OT: virus count

Fletch fletch at phydeaux.org
Thu Aug 21 10:17:47 EDT 2003

    Jerry> 	it is probably for people never clued in.  I know a
    Jerry> LAN manager sent out emails instructing people to run the
    Jerry> detection/purging utilitly for the Blaster, then explicitly
    Jerry> asked people not to patch their desktop. Only four days
    Jerry> later, the whole LAN was hosed. Her logic has evaded me big
    Jerry> time. Any one?

M$ patches are notorious for sometimes introducing as many problems as
the purportedly fix.  Back when slammer hit I remember hearing
anecdotal tales that many people didn't patch because the patch caused
some sort of new instability itself.  Not to mention their penchant
for introducing things like the new EULA with the `we can do anything
we want to your box at any time' clauses that came with one of the
media player security patches.

770 294-0820 (m)      |  scary questions." -- Jules                =(___)=