[ale] OT: virus count

Irv Mullins irvm at ellijay.com
Thu Aug 21 09:07:45 EDT 2003

On Wednesday 20 August 2003 09:27 pm, Christopher Fowler wrote:
> Since  I've installed Snort yesterday, I've seens at least 2 attempts
> by the old MS SQL Worm.  Can't believe people have not patched up their
> systems yet.

I can.
Maybe half of all computers running Windows are never patched.
Either because they are running earlier versions which don't do
automatic updates, or because they're running XP and the user
(wisely) doesn't trust MSoft enough to allow them to do automatic updates.
Even the few who try to keep up to date with the patches lose
them all whenever they have to reload Windows.

These computers have no sys admins to fix them;  they're sitting in peoples'
homes all day, alone, with nothing to do but send out worms and viruses.

Regards,
Irv