[ale] Ernie Ball says F.Y. to Microsoft

Jay Finch retief at larp.com
Thu Aug 21 07:59:36 EDT 2003

My impression from the article was not that he wanted more developers to
write GPL/Free Business apps, but that more apps need to be written
period.  He stated several times in the article that as a business owner
nothing is truly "Free" -- So if a company came out with some business
applications that he (or other Linux business adopters) needed, they would
*BUY* them.

Effort requires compensation, IMHO.  Whether that compensation is money, a
pat on the back, or knowledge is up to the individual developer.  But we,
as a species, are a selfish breed of animal.  So taking a step back,
re-evaluating the application market, then moving forward would be a good
idea for the Linux community as a whole.  Businesses don't mind paying
money for software (See all the ones running MS stuff), so why not CHARGE
for applications?  The OS might be free, but that doesn't mean that the
applications need to be.  (There will still be free ones for the
individual, but I don't see an issue with business-level applications
costing money.)

Just my thoughts. :~)

Cheers!
Jay