[ale] SuSE - Samba and Webmin

BruceG griffisb at bellsouth.net
Wed Aug 20 16:37:33 EDT 2003

On Tuesday 19 August 2003 21:03, Ray Knight wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-08-18 at 12:05, BruceG wrote:
> > Decided to go with SuSE, and purchased SuSE 8.2 Personal Edition. Getting
> > nVidia drivers to work was a LOT simpler! Just downloaded the drivers,
> > did init 3, ran the installer, did init 5 and ran SaX2. Clicked on
> > Graphics card, and enabled 3D. That pulled in the nVidia drivers. Hooray!
> >
> > So - it looks like the personal edition does not contain Samba and
> > Webmin, or at least I don't know how to select and install them. Do I go
> > out to www.samba.org and pull it from there, or where would I go to get
> > an RPM for Samba for SuSE? Same thing for Webmin.
> >
> > While the original ftp install went okay, it's a lot simpler with a boxed
> > set. Serves me right for being cheap.
>
> I mentioned this before, but here it is again.
>
> Go to the ximian.org web site.  Download the SuSE 8.2 rpms for
> red-carpet.  Install.  Start red-carpet.  Subscribe to SuSE.  Now select
> install and pick from the full SuSE Professional 8.2 RPM's.
>
> Ray

That looks like a good option. I ended up going to the SuSE site. There is a
location for current Samba files. I ftp'ed the files and installed via YaST.
Looks like my first attempt I installed the client (I could view Windows
machines, but could not share my printer).

I went back, downloaded Samba and went to the Runlevel editor (I forgot who
mentioned that - thanks!) and added smb and nmb to init 3 and 5.

I also installed Webmin, but had a big Duh moment figuring out. I hadn't
installed or started Apache, so of course Webmin won't work yet. The link is
here: http://www.suse.com/us/private/download/index.html   - the entries for
Samba and Apache are to the left.