[ale] Interesting Issue with IE Apache and SSL

Robert Coggins ALE at CogginsNet.com
Wed Aug 20 09:33:19 EDT 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Geoffrey" <esoteric at 3times25.net>
To: ale at ale.org
To: <ale at ale.org>
Sent: Wednesday, August 20, 2003 6:21 AM
Subject: Re: [ale] Interesting Issue with IE Apache and SSL

> Robert Coggins wrote:
> > OK all,
> >
> > I have an interesting delima.  I am trying to run a website on a host
> >  using RedHat 7.3 with apache. I (and customers) kept running into an
> >  issue where I would get random page not found errors.  However,  I
> > found this would only happen with Internet Explorer.  I code on linux
> > using Mozilla as my test browser so I never noticed it until people
> > brought it to my attn.  I could not for the life of me figure out why
> > this only happened in IE only.
>
> Maybe cause it sucks? :)

Yeah no doubt.  I can't argue that unfortunately people that come to this
site are not techies.  They are quite the opposite.  And I hear about this
with them all of the time.

> > I started recoding the whole site thinking it was a gliche in my code.
> >
> > Now, tonight I thought I would retest some of my new code on IE.
> > Sure enough I would get that error every now and then.  However
> > tonight I have the sound turned up on my windows box.  I noticed this
> > only happens when I try to click on a link I hear an odd, very rapid,
> > clicking sounds.  Faster than I can possibly click the mouse.  I
> > figure this is messing up the process of sending and receiving acks
> > from the server.  I know this is at least a part screw up in IE
> > sending the rapid clicks like that.  But is there a way to not accept
> > but one of these clicks on the server side to keep from getting the
> > page not found error? Or maybe in my code "trap" more than one click
> > request?
>
> The browser should not be responding to a 'non-click.'  That is, the
> browser should only respond when you send a request.  Are you doing any
> mouseover stuff? (javascript maybe)

The browser isn't really responding to non clicks.  It is more giving three
very rapid clicks when I try to click on a link.  I then get the page not
found error.  The only Javascript I am using is form verification.

> > One other thing.  I am not 100% sure yet.  But I think this might
> > only happen when I am using SSL on https://.
>
> Is it possible that the settings on IE aren't permitting ssl, and rather
> then provide a reasonably useful message, it's puking?

No, becuase most of the time it all works perfectly normal. just every now
and then I get the error.

> It would likely help if you could narrow it down to ssl.

I know.  Sometimes the error is hard to recreate and I was ready for bed
when I thought to try it without ssl.

> Do you see anything in the logs?  Certainly you must be getting an error
> in the error log if they can't find a page?

I do not see anything in the log unusual. Are there particular logs you
suggest I look at?

> --
> Until later: Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net

Thanks for the input!