[ale] question about sobig

John Wells jb at sourceillustrated.com
Wed Aug 20 07:35:12 EDT 2003

This morning, my inbox was filled with sobig.  I expected that.  However,
I found a number of supposedly returned mail carrying sobig that appeared
to have been originally sent from my wife's and my email addresses.

I assume, since I run linux exclusively and my wife only emails through
squirrel mail, that this means someone out there that has received mail
from us is infected and the worm is trying to send out with our email
addresses as source address, which then get bounced by certain smart
servers back to us.  Is this a good assumption?

Is there any way to track down an infected box?

Thanks for the input.

John