[ale] Samba Not Quite Right

Jason Day jasonday at worldnet.att.net
Tue Aug 19 11:29:15 EDT 2003

On Tue, Aug 19, 2003 at 03:06:36PM +0000, hbbs at comcast.net wrote:
> That didnt' do it.  Right now, the "evil" bit is XP forcing the username you try
> to log onto the share with to be "guest" as opposed to letting the user enter
> his or her own username in.  I can't tell if Samba is forcing that somehow.

No, it's not samba.  Win9x clients don't allow you to specify the
username you want to use for network shares, it always uses whoever
you've logged in as.  Absolutely mind boggling.  NT allows you to
specify the username as well as password.  I would have thought XP would
use the NT approach; maybe you're using the home/light/non-enterprise
version?

Anyway, if XP won't let you specify the username, you will have to use
user level security in samba, add UNIX accounts for the XP usernames
(make sure the passwords are the same both in UNIX and XP), then use
smbpasswd to add the users to samba (again, same usernames and
passwords).  For guest access, make sure you have a guest account.  You
can use nobody or ftp, but the samba team recommends a dedicated guest
account for samba.  The "map to guest" option will probably be useful
also.

Jason

    -- Weyoun-6, Star Trek: Deep Space 9