[ale] OT: printing digital photographs

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Tue Aug 19 10:16:54 EDT 2003

You're screwed!

The print your own digital pictures business is a fabulous way to blow
reams of $$. Archive the pics onto CD's and teach some discriminating
process that will choose the one or 2 good pictures out of the 128 on
each flash disk. It is a load cheaper to mail a CD (and let the family
print the ones _they_ like) than print a ream or $.40 prints and mail
that. 35mm film processing is less than $.40/pic.

If you just have to print the pics, any of the Epson photo printers are
quite nice. Some of the HP versions (and Epsons) have builtin storage
media slots for directly printing from the camera. That is a BAD THING!!
In encourage using lots of rather expensive photo-quality print paper.

The key to good prints from the digital camera is 2 fold.
1. Good resolution on the camera. 4x5 prints from a 2 megapixel camera
are OK. 8x10 will look like crap. To print 8x10, you need better than 4
megapixels resolution.
2. Photo quality paper. It will be glossy (or the new matte finish - not
quite as good) and expensive. The print time will be s l o w .

For the really good prints, use the printers from Epson that have the 6
ink tanks. There is a mid-tone tank they use that is half the intensity
of the standard CYMK colors. This makes for very smooth color tones for
skin.

I would also suggest enrolling in a local community college photography
class. Most of the pictures people take are just crap! Out of the last
10 rolls of film, I actually got 1 good shot. A pro will shoot a roll on
a subject expecting 2-3 usable shots.