[ale] Samba Not Quite Right

hbbs at comcast.net hbbs at comcast.net
Tue Aug 19 09:30:09 EDT 2003

I've got Samba up and running on Gentoo, which is also up and running (a minor
miracle in and of itself, as the 2.4.20 kernel that comes with the current
version of Gentoo wouldn't boot on this nVidia-chipset machine).

WinXP machines on the network can see the server and, if I double-click on the
server, I'm asked for a username and password.  If I supply mine, I can get into
the one share I created.

This isn't quite what I want to have happen.  I would like for at least one
read-only share to appear without the need for a username and password, and I
plan to make other shares that *will* require un/pw access.  I would like all
shares to at least appear when the server is double-clicked, without having to
enter a un/pw.

This is the share definition for that one read-only share as it now stands:

[library]
   comment = General data/sw for internal use
   path = /share/library
   public = yes
   writable = no
   write list = jeff

Other important global parameters:

   security = user
   encrypt passwords = yes
   smb passwd file = /etc/samba/private/smbpasswd

There is a Win2K PDC here with accounts, but I have no control over them (to
include existence), so, if I want to be able to provide and control access to
this Samba server, I have to manage the accounts and use smbpasswd as needed.

How can I best get the behavior I want?

- Jeff