[ale] Good worm by Microsoft [??]

Debrihmi debrihmi at chaos706.org
Mon Aug 18 22:05:29 EDT 2003

On 18 Aug 2003 21:59:40 -0400, F. Grant Robertson wrote
> Honestly I can't imagine it being them. Had you released a worm, as a
> major corporation, even to fix a hole, it seems like step one would
> be to issue a press release. I think making it an "open" experience would
> be your only hope of not being charged for it. I've also read elsewhere
> that NAV is detecting and blocking this new worm, whatever it's called.
>
> IF you were microsoft, and IF you released this, shouldn't you (and,
> being the nuts for execution they are, wouldn't you) have co-
> ordinated with Symantec?
>
> -G
>

> On Mon, 2003-08-18 at 21:48, Jonathan Rickman wrote:
> > On Monday 18 August 2003 21:40, F. Grant Robertson wrote:
> > > Interesting angle..  First, I didn't know this had been generated by
> > > microsoft, do we have any confirmation of that?  This is the first
> > > mention of the repair worm coming out of Redmond, for me at least.
> >
> > Absolutely nothing to indicate that.

Putting myself in a paranoid MS state of mind..  It would be in my best
interest to keep it hush-hush..

1. Decreasing Infected Computer Numbers?
2. A live trial?
3. Not getting into legal hassels?

C'mon, these are the folks who wanna take over the planet with their Palladium
Project..
~
Debrihmi
--