[ale] VIM, file completion

Alexander Barton abarton at mindspring.com
Sun Aug 17 13:17:42 EDT 2003

Alan Bowman wrote:
> On Sun, 17 Aug 2003, David Corbin wrote:
>

>>VIM supports filename completion, but it doesn't support it the same way that
>>bash does.  Is there a switch that will chane that?

[...]
>  What is vim *not* doing that you think it should be doing?
>
> ...alan

$ls
foobar1 foobarbaz foobarblat

In Bash, if I say "foo<TAB>", foo gets completed out to the next point
where I have to make a decision.  I.e.: completed out to "foobar".  Bash
then waits for me to type in a few more characters ("b<TAB>"), and we
repeat ("foobar") from there.

If I tell Vim ":e foo<TAB>", Vim offers me the first whole match, like
":e foobar1".  Hitting tab repeadly scrolls through everything that
begins with "foo".

If there are a lot of foo* files, and I'm lazy and type only the first
few cahracters, the Vim method is much slower.

If there's a way to make Vim behave like Bash, I'll email you a cold beer.

-Alexander