[ale] Debian - mouse setup in XF86Config-4

James Sumners james at sumners.ath.cx
Sat Aug 16 23:35:26 EDT 2003

You need USB support in the kernel before you can do anything. I don't
remember if the stable branch has such a thing built in if you did not install
with the bf24 image since I have been running sid for so long and I never use
the Debian kernel anyway. But I digress, you need to make a device for the
mouse such as `mknod /dev/usb/mouse c 13 63`. Once you have done so you should
be able to configure the mouse like a normal mouse:

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier  "Mouse1"
    Driver      "mouse"
    Option "Protocol"    "IMPS/2"
    Option "Device"      "/dev/usb/mouse"
    Option "Buttons" "5"
    Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

<quote who="griffisb at bellsouth.net">
> Thanks for all the information on nVidia and SuSE. I'll save a copy for when I
> work with SuSE again.
>
> Meanwhile, back at the ranch:
> I decided to give Debian a try, didn't have much to lose and wanted to see how
> Debian works. The installation went okay, and I was able to run tasksel and
> run apt-get using ftp.
>
> I did run into trouble on configuring XFree86. Got my card and monitor okay,
> but am having trouble with the mouse. Two questions:
> 1. How do you set up a USB-attached mouse in Debian stable, and how do you
> configure it in XFree86.
>
> 2.If USB-attached mouse is no good in Debian stable, how do you configure a
> PS/2 attached mouse? I have a 2 button, 1 wheel Microsoft Intellimouse cheapy
> special.
>
> To give it a try, I edited the XF86Config-4 file to allow X to start without a
> mouse present. I was able to get an X window and KDE started up - so I know
> I'm almost there (well, EnsonIQ 1370 isn't working yet, either - but that can
> wait).
>
> Sorry for jumping all over the map between Mandrake, SuSE and Debian
> questions. Figured I'd try out a couple distributions for fun.
> Bruce

I used to be interested in Windows NT, but the more I see of it the more it
looks like traditional Windows with a stabler kernel. I don't find anything
technically interesting there. In my opinion MS is a lot better at making
money than it is at making good operating systems.  -- Linus Torvalds