[ale] Debian install - sanity check (Turned into SuSE via FTP)

Ray Knight audilover at atlantabroadband.com
Sat Aug 16 00:56:20 EDT 2003

On Fri, 2003-08-15 at 00:48, BruceG wrote:
> On Thursday 14 August 2003 15:21, Debrihmi wrote:
>
> > > Cool!!! I like that option! I've been reading through Debian docs,
> > > and got to the point where I've decided to hold off until the Debian
> > > Desktop project has a little more headway. This looks like a good choice.
> > >
> > > Do you know if there is a similar utility for SuSE LiveEval CD? Or
> > > would I just go with the FTP install. I think Debian is over my head
> > > for now, but SuSE might be something I could do.

> > For SuSE, I would go with the FTP install (although I don't know if its the
> > current 8.2 install or not)
> >
> > I live and die by Debian..  My wife got my Xandros/Debian (commercial
> > Linux) for Christmas and I'm very happy with that too, it's very
> > Windows-like but does not insult your intelligence..  I'm very impressed
> > with SuSE 8.2 and am looking to get a permanent install done, so if it
> > works out with the FTP, please let me know..
> >
> > ~
> > Debrihmi
>
> The SuSE FTP install went pretty well. I think a few people already posted on
> installing SuSE via FTP, but I'm not the best at searching archives. I
> downloaded the boot iso and burned to CD. Booted from the CD and started from
> there.
>
> The installation did not recognize my Ethernet card, so I had to go into Load
> Modules, Network Drivers - and select the drivers for NatSemi DP83815. After
> that it worked okay.
>
> I downloaded from Georgia Tech server. YaST asks for the IP address fo the
> server. It's 130.207.108.134   To figure out the address, select mirrors and
> pick the closest mirror to you. Then ping it to get the IP address. (you have
> to do this BEFORE starting the install!) YaST will ask for a directory - the
> directory (on GaTech) is /pub/suse/suse/i386/8.2
>
> Now I have some tweaking to do. Have to configure Samba for print sharing and
> home directory sharing. Have to go back into KMail and configure filters (and
> maybe Spam Assassin). Will also need to change themes and wallpapers. But for
> now - I have a basic SuSE desktop up and running.
> Bruce

Here's a tip for anyone who installed SuSE via the ftp install.  The ftp
install is not the full SuSE, you miss out on some non-free (as in
speech) packages particularly Sun's Java.

After you install SuSE go to the Ximian site and download the SuSE rpms
for Red Carpet.  You only need the 4 or 5 rpms specific to Red Carpet.
Install these RPMS.  Start Red Carpet and subscribe to SuSE.  Now you
can install all of the SuSE RPMs for packages unavailable from the ftp
install including the Java RPMs.

Ray