[ale] KDE problems Rehat 9.0 upgrade

Jim Philips jcphil at mindspring.com
Thu Aug 14 19:13:13 EDT 2003

Matthew Magee wrote:
> Hi folks!
>
> I upgraded from RedHat 8.0 to 9.0 this morning, and have run into a
> little problem.  When I try to start a KDE session I get:
>

> rm: cannot remove '.' or '..'
> rm: cannot remove '.' or '..'
> startkde  starting up
> /usr/bin/startkde: line 227: 1147 segmentation fault    ksplash
> /usr/bin/startkde: line 231: 1148 semnetation fault  LB_BIND.NOW=true
> kdeinit +kcminit +knotify
> startkde could not start kdeinit check your configuration
> warning: connect () failed: no such file or directory
> /usr.bin/startkde: line 248: 1150 segmentation fault kwrapper kmserve
> $KDE_WM
> startkde: shutting down
> warning: connect () failed: no such file or directory
> error  can't contact kdeinit
> startkde: running shutdown scripts
> startkde: done
>

> I wrote down the output quickly, so I am sure I didn't get all the
> spaces and caps exactly right.
>
> This affects all users.  Gnome works, but I can't use any of my favorite
> KDE apps. :(
>
> Has anyone encountered this, or point me in the right direction?
>
> I am not really in the mood to reinstall, but I always did before, and
> have had no problems.

RedHat doesn't play nicely with KDE anywhere. They replace standard KDE
apps with their own versions and introduce a menu system that's way
inferior to the one KDE sets up by default. You have two options:

1. replace your existing KDE with KDE-RedHat from
http://sourceforge.net/projects/kde-redhat/

2. build from source

I like option 2 myself, but not everybody enjoys the day or so it takes
to build all of KDE (yeah, I've got an old, slow computer).