[ale] Re: Trying to make the switch to Linux

John Marasco john at marasco.net
Thu Aug 14 08:16:33 EDT 2003

Michael Hartman wrote:

> Wow,
>
> The response has been overwhelming.  Thanks to everyone for such quick
> turnaround.  I now know that I have a Pentium so I can do the switch
> and that I should be able to convert my excel files and I found a
> couple of websites for D-Link downloads.  Should be able to figure out
> the HP stuff as well.
>
> The documentation with SuSE 8.2 indicated that NT 4.0 has a different
> file format so that I couldn't prtition etc. which is fine.  I've
> backed up all my data files.  Is there anything special I need to do
> to my harddrive prior to loading the software?? (or does the install
> guide take me through that?)
>
> Anything else to think about prior to overhauling my laptop??
>
> Thanks again to everyone for their rapid responses!!!
>
> Michael

Linux can read and write NTFS from NT 4.0 and FAT although you should
re-partition your hard drive anyway.  "Can read" does not mean the same
thing as "is great at" ;).  I believe the ability to read from NTFS and
FAT is there to support a dual boot environment.  The SuSE install will
tell you how to partition the drive and will walk you through the
process.  You may discover that Linux supports a richer array of file
systems which is probably more confusing (at least to most computer
users) than helpful.  To answer your question, you don't need to do
anything special to your harddrive and accepting  the decisions the SuSE
install makes for you will be "good enough" unless you are specific
about these sort of things.

This may seem like a stupid point but if you backed up your files
through some type of software backup application you may have some
difficulty getting them back under Linux.  It will not be impossible but
it will be harder than you may expect.  If you backed up your files by
copying them to another drive on the network then you will need to
install samba (which should happen automatically) and then make an smb
connection from Linux to your Windows drive shares.  It isn't hard, but
it isn't transparent as in Windows and I'm sure there are lot's of
people here that would be happy to walk you through it.  There may be a
tool in Linux that automatically searches the network for shared drives
(as Windows Explorer does) but I haven't found it yet.  Of course if you
wrote your files to some sort of media (CDW, floppy) then you will have
no troubles at all restoring them.

Make sure you back up all your email, contact lists, bookmarks and
anything you've dragged to your desktop.  Those are items that are
sometimes forgotten (and regretted) when re-installing the OS.