[ale] IBM & Centrino wifi: no support

David S. Jackson dsj at sylvester.dsj.net
Wed Aug 13 09:35:11 EDT 2003

I've been researching which bits of my new t40 are supported and
which are not.  The centrino wifi appears *not* to be, and specs
don't appear to be forthcoming.

There's a fascinating thread about this linux-thinkpad.org:

http://mailman.linux-thinkpad.org/pipermail/linux-thinkpad/2003-August/012424.html

Later in the thread some folks discuss why internal wifi specs
can't be released due to the FCC's insistence.  I guess the newer
generation of wifi devices do all the controlling in software, so
releasing the specs could enable someone to make the device
interfere with devices outside the allocated frequency range, a
very big no-no as far as the FCC is concerned.

The wind up is that if I keep the T-40, I can't use the centrino
wifi or the Winmodem.  And the suspend/resume apparently would
need a fat32 partition to work under Linux.  Some challenges lie
ahead if I want to use all of the T-40 under Linux as is...

On to more researching...

David S. Jackson                        dsj at dsj.net