[ale] new t-40 thinkpad...

David S. Jackson dsj at sylvester.dsj.net
Tue Aug 12 14:57:13 EDT 2003

Howdie!

I'm the proud owner of a new t-40 thinkpad.  Of course it came
with WinXP Slo err, Pro.  Can the new install routines resize
ntfs partitions?

I'm so used to installing the old fashioned way, with boot floppy
or CD-ROM, and to bare metal, that I'm uncertain how to add an OS
to an existing windows install.  I figer I might as well keep the
xp since I've paid for it and there's no hope of returning it
without the machine too (and thus losing a nice piece of
hardware).  I usually use a Slack or Debian distro, or sometimes
FreeBSD.  But you gurus must have installed to a laptop recently.
I'd like to avoid blasting the windows until I've had a chance to
play a bit; the last distro of windows I've seen was Me, and that
sucked so my wife went back to 98se.  (For the daughter's
edutainment games, mostly.)

Anyway, I figured I'd start with Slack.  How do you resize an
NTFS partition?

David S. Jackson                        dsj at dsj.net