[ale] Novell & Linux............

Jonathan Rickman jonathan at xcorps.net
Tue Aug 12 11:04:57 EDT 2003

On Tuesday 12 August 2003 11:45, Courtney Thomas wrote:

> what does Novell do and how does it do it, i.e. is it a networking
> system that will run Microsoft applications out of the box, or does it
> have it's own proprietary applications ? Or if none of the above, what
> then ?

Novell does a lot of things and produces a plethora of products. Check their
web site out. When most folks refer to Novell, they really mean Novell's
former flagship product Netware. I say former, because I think eDirectory
should now be considered their killer app. Netware was the last of the true
Network Operating Systems, offering file/print/authentication services and
truly focusing on doing that right. Chances are, you have come into contact
with it but didn't know it. It works that well.

> Given the above, what will it probably do with Linux ?

Hopefully, give Linux the NOS functionality to compete with Active
Directory. OpenLDAP is not even close, and Samba and NFS leave much to be
desired. Don't even get me started on printing. Novell's stuff is better
than ours. But our kernel is better than theirs. Looks like a match made in
heaven.

--
Jonathan Rickman
X Corps Security