[ale] RANT dial on demand

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Sun Aug 10 15:50:45 EDT 2003

I get to this point every now and then and Just have to vent.  I've
spent a good 10 hours trying to configure a system to dial on demand
using either kppp or kinternet.  This kind of thing is a huge factor in
why Linux fails when trying to replace Windows on the desktop.  It
doesn't matter if it's better, more secure, faster, more reliable.  If
joe user can't get a simple thing like dial on demand to work, they're
not going to buy it.

kinternet is supposed to provide such a service.  Problem is, it uses
wvdial for connection and try as I might, I can't figure out how to tell
wvdial to use the 'special' AutoPPP login when dialing in.  There is an
option for the wvdial.conf file that is specified as the Login for the
isp, yet, wvdial does not apparently use it, as it continues to pass the
username that is specified in the conf file.

If you go to the www.kde.org website, select the documentation link,
there's not even a reference to kinternet.  I guess the got rid of it.

Anyone set up a dial on demand system of late?  I need a beer...

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net

Think about it...