[ale] SCO Announces Intellectual Property License for Linux (fwd)

John Marasco john at marasco.net
Fri Aug 8 12:03:34 EDT 2003

https://us.etrade.com/e/t/invest/Story?ID=STORYID%3Detrade_2003_08_07_eng-etrade_cbs2_market_watch_eng-etrade_cbs2_market_watch_98969A3F-AD19-4EF8-90A3-ED6537BC968D&provider=PRNewswire

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/serverappliance/oem/competitive.mspx

Go to the end of the Microsoft competative comparison and compare the
wording of the section titled "Better business alignment with
straightforward licensing and clarity of intellectual property
ownership" with the latest press release from SCO.  The two are starting
to sound more and more like two heads with one voice...now why would SCO
make such a damaging statement about a product that they don't even
indemnify?

To understand this new twist to SCO's lawsuit, they are concerned that
IBM isn't giving "comfort to customers going forward in use of Linux" so
they are suing?  Let's straighten this out:

- SCO can't support their customers they are going to go bankrupt
- IBM doesn't support their customers because they don't care and
neither do any other Linux vendors

Thank God we still have Microsoft because they may be a monopoly that'll
undermine competition with free software and they may mark up their
products a startling 87% but at least they care...
if we get sued for using Microsoft software but they'll buy a worthless
$10 million dollars license to support us getting sued for using someone
elses software.  ;)

I'm so happy we found a good guy in this mess.