[ale] remote X problems.

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Thu Aug 7 20:52:59 EDT 2003

It causes Bob to have small strokes every time some su's to root :)

Mainly it breaks the Xauthority chain for having the remote app display
locally. The "proper" way is to ssh to the remote machine as your remote
self. Now you have established the correct "chaining" of Xauthority
links. Then su to run the root-only app. As remote-root as authority to
display on remote-you screen and remote you has authority to display on
local-you screen, after about 1-5 minutes, a local window appears for
the remote root application.

In general, it is always best to do the initial remote login as some
user other than root. The su will leave a log trail of whodonit for
later analysis in the event o a problem.

sudo is even better! It keeps a log of every command run as root through
sudo. Very usefull for backtracking through a screwup!